· Meth_Conference
· Meth_Manual
· Reviews
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Topics
· Web Links

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 222

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 223
CrystalMethBC - Meth Information Website: Forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 492

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 494

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 495
crystalmethbc.ca :: View topic - ADDICTION 101
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

ADDICTION 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> I Just Want to Talk.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkle
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: ADDICTION 101 Reply with quote

Let's not forget that drug addiction is an illness and needs much more than police enforcement to solve the problem in our downtown core. I guess the Chamber of Commerce and half of society would rather pretend we haven't all failed in the war on drugs. You can't just move a social problem to someone else's neighborhood (enforcement); the police themselves admit that throwing addicts in jail without treatment and a new skill set, doesn't work. We know that the justice system needs overhauling. The Crown usually chooses not to incarcerate youth or chronic users so they are back on the street almost immediately. Shoplifting and property theft is way up. Businesses are leaving town. The yearly sweep of Victoria's downtown streets in the name of tourism increases the perception of a healthy Victoria, keyword being perception! When will all levels of government start throwing real money at the problem?

Street-corner dealers are addicted to substances themselves and are selling to support their own habit. These are not the movie drug dealers with fast cars and fancy apartments. Most corner drug dealers have a multitude of problems themselves and frequently have open wounds, feet and legs ulcers, and pneumonia. More than half are mentally ill. Many are homeless. Lots have been kicked off of social services because of government slashing. That being said, we know that organized crime is fast moving in to our midst because of a new generation of highly addictive street drugs popular in youth culture, and we have to worry about this together as a caring community.

Unfortunately I am seeing third generation addicts on the street who have inherited a gene and a way of life that predisposes them to abuse of substances once they start. We have many teen prostitutes. Addicts who are 14 years old. I have heard their stories and seen the damage that drug abuse and this government has inflicted on all of the street population. Most of these kids have no cozy home with a mummy and daddy to guide them. Never have had. Put yourself in their shoes and after your money is gone and you are sick and in crisis with no family or social net to save you, see how frustrated you get and where you end up. There is little support now for them, there is certainly no affordable housing (they live on just over $500 a month if they can jump through the hoops to get it), many doctors & detox services won't see them until they're straight for at least a week (Please! that's why they want help!) and their health care is provided by what few social agencies are left intact. The kids describe their world as "hell" and it is.

And if you think cocaine and heroin are bad drugs, be very afraid of the latest drugs of choice among our youth: crystal methampetamine, E and GHB (the date rape drug). You need to know about them if you have kids and your kids need to know about them. They are being taken for all kinds of reasons by lots and lots of school age kids right here in town and dealing is happening with kids in grades 5 and up, in all neighborhoods.

Crystal meth (jib) will destroy you. Much more addictive and harmful than coke, 10 times the high, lasts up to 12 hours, for a quarter of the price and you can eat, talk, lose weight, perform, gain self-confidence and generally keep up appearances for a while at least. The health risk and ease for addiction is 10 times greater as well, but for many reasons it is the drug of choice for many young people. Some are hooked after one try and heavy use almost always results in psychosis. Seductive, it will keep you up for days and you will require more and more to stay high. New studies show loss of brain tissue equal to Alzheimer's in a relatively short time with methamphetamine. Before kids brains have even fully developed! And they are experimenting. A little of this to get high, a little of that to mellow out. Quite often these kids mellow out with a little heroin, easy to get and a lethal combination.

GHB is tasteless and colorless. Kids who share water bottles may not even know what that clear liquid is and a gulp could kill a child. (Be responsible, don't guess, and watch your drink in a bar.) One hit and some first time users have become paralyzed or have irreversible brain damage.

Kids tellus that not only cocaine but club drugs like E, GHB, K and Crystal Meth are nearly always around now at teen parties and raves and there needs to be much more education among youth and their care-givers at school and at home. Emergency rooms tell it all. Most users end up there. Up for days they just nod off whether walking, riding a bike or a car (another worry!) and the risk for harm to themselves and others is huge. Sleep deprived users get aggressive and feel like they are invincible. Their behaviour becomes manic and unreasonable. US cities have been warning us of crystal meth, and it is just hitting us seriously now. Used recreationally, or on the street, it is most often inhaled here but has been showing up cut into cocaine, (watch out if you bang it) and even has been sprayed on joints sold to kids. Use has spiked sharply in the past 12 months in Victoria. Once you are hooked, you live for it, and soon steal for it. Please spend LOTS of time talking with your kids about their lives and educate them on the types of drugs that they will run into at parties. It isn't any easier now then when we were kids, in fact it is harder; kids have way more pressure on them, the drugs are worse and the risks are greater.

In Canada, it is estimated that two out of five homes have someone in the family addicted to something, be it pills, booze, cigarettes, sex, food, illegal drugs or gambling. Many need intervention and help to quit. Before you rant that your addiction is more civilized and the street people should just all get jobs, where do you suggest they live or shower or keep their possessions? What should they change into for their job interview? They stash their belongings or keep them in shopping carts and there is no bathroom for them to use after 6pm downtown! There are seventeen detox beds in Victoria and about five for youth. When you most need it, when you beg for it, there is no treatment bed available. Users are regularly turned away from emergency. Addicts can't wait months for treatment. They can't wait days. The depression left after an addict quits using is so bad that the only thing that makes his life worth living seems to be just to get more of the drug.

The next time you see a young street addict and are about to turn your nose up in disgust, think about what led them to that point. Any addiction is an illness. Get your church involved, take them bandages, shoes and food, or pray for them. My Jesus would be down on that corner helping them and trying to give them hope. Anyone who thinks they are better than an addict should volunteer at the Open Door or one of our 'soup' kitchens. Get your priorities straight Victoria.
HFFS
New User
New User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Addiction 101-a Reply with quote

I have to tend to agree with alot of what this person has to say about Crystal Meth... Mind you I am from both side of the fence...

I am HFFS and I am an Addict.... I have been addicted to Meth for over 10 years... I know first hand what this drug does to ones self, and I also have been involved in the selling and useing of this drug... I have tried my hardest with trying to stop this drug.. and if it was not for the court system sentencing me to a recovery house I would not have the year clean that I do ...

I have been working for the recovery house that I went thro for the past 4 months... working with all aspects of addiction... and I want any meth user out there to know .. that Recovery is Possiable .. you just have to have a very open mind to it... Its not a easy road... its really hard to deal with when you first come off... its a slow process and sometimes painful process depending on the amount of use...

I had a huge habbit ... HUGE... and I did many of the things that were said in Addiction-101 post... I have stole .. cheated... lied... conned... everything.. and now... I am working closely with the probation office ( mainly cause i am on probation) trying to bring awareness to drug awareness and treatment... I am trying to get on with outreach in either Nanaimo or even looking for something in Victoria ... I am really wanting to help the best that i can .. to put a huge dent in to drug abuse as I can...

I guess the whole meaning of my post is to let people out there know that recovery is possiable... even after 13 years of using Crystal Meth!

Feel free to post a reply .. I try to get on here as much as i can ...

I trust you all have a great day .. and I hope to hear some feedback.. feel free to throw some questions at me.. its all about what i like doing!

take care..

HFFS
-------------------------------------------------
sparkle
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Hope, love, charity! Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing! Congratulations on living clean! And thanks for letting others know that there is always HOPE in recovering from any addiciton, and meth in particular! There are many successful personal stories in the testimonial section on this website, that show that with the right supports and the unwavering will to quit, that you absolutely can get your chaotic life back together again. Sobriety means that you can rediscover your passions and find your purpose in life, reconnect with people you care about, have money left over three days after you get it, be healthy again, win the respect of others, make new friends, get your credibility back, keep regular hours and enjoy new experiences! It's not easy but nothing that's priceless ever is.

Good Luck....baby steps!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> I Just Want to Talk. All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: