· Meth_Conference
· Meth_Manual
· Reviews
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Topics
· Web Links

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 222

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 223
CrystalMethBC - Meth Information Website: Forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 492

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 494

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 495
crystalmethbc.ca :: View topic - No friends allowed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

No friends allowed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> Youth & the Justice System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmparent
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: No friends allowed. Reply with quote

Suppose that you are a teen. You can't stay with your parents for one reason or another.

Some ministry or group finds a temporary foster home for you. Great!! You settle in. But you find out that you can't have any friends over, or even tell them your phone number.

Where do you end up spending your days and evenings, sometimes nights?

Likely you are on the streets, or in your friends' homes, until their parents get tired of feeding you, putting up with your problems, for free.

Come on, people, this one rule doesn't work, it puts kids back on the streets. It weakens an otherwise great program.
rod_a
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one, but I think protecting the foster family from further exposure to risk should be paramount.

Even though they are financially compensated, I'm sure those who run temporary foster homes have a tough enough time with one troubled youth. Letting 'friends' come visit could be much more difficult; inviting far more problems.

I do agree that providing a connection to the outside could be helpful.

Perhaps a funding of a semi-locked phone with its own number just for the youth would be good. Allow calls to and from 'approved' friends and family only. Hours could be limited too. Besides an outlet to the outside, it could be used for motivation by making it an earned privilege.

The hard part is deciding what makes for an 'approved' friend. There is liability and risk in providing the mechanism for outside contact, which makes me believe the Ministry would never chance it. Benefits be damned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> Youth & the Justice System All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: