· Meth_Conference
· Meth_Manual
· Reviews
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Topics
· Web Links

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 222

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 223
CrystalMethBC - Meth Information Website: Forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 492

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 494

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 495
crystalmethbc.ca :: View topic - What works for parents of teens using crystal meth?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

What works for parents of teens using crystal meth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> Parent Resources. Strategies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmparent
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: What works for parents of teens using crystal meth? Reply with quote

Should I turn responsibility for his drug use over to my 17 year-old?

Clearly, not in my home. Not so clear is what to do about his use of drugs outside my home.

One parenting strategy gives control to the teen of those behaviors that the parent cannot control. This maintains the relationship between the parent and teen, without either becoming a doormat. If my teen can't stand living at home because we are always pushing each other's buttons, then I can't educate, I can't provide a safe home, and I can't model other values. Turning over control works when the teen is "acting out", because it stops the argument. Trust is then stated, support is given, and limits set to what the parent needs to control. (See the book "How to Deal With Your Acting-Up Teenager", by Bayard) .

But can a drugged teen take control of his own actions? When "acting up" includes criminal behavior, what should I do? Will a positive intervention result from my reporting him to the police?

I don't have answer's yet, but here is my reading list for now:
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/dca-dea/publications/teens_e.html
http://www.apsgo.ca
http://www.enotalone.com/795-1.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> Parent Resources. Strategies. All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: