· Meth_Conference
· Meth_Manual
· Reviews
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Topics
· Web Links

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 222

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/sessions.php on line 223
CrystalMethBC - Meth Information Website: Forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 492

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 494

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/header.php:32) in /raid/home/crystal/crystalmethbc/includes/page_header.php on line 495
crystalmethbc.ca :: View topic - Support for the addict and their pet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Support for the addict and their pet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> Health Issues re Street Life & Meth use.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helen
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Support for the addict and their pet Reply with quote

Addicts love their pets just as much as any other person. While these folks grapple with this sickness, the last thing they need is the worry of their pet's uncertainty.

Often, pets are the very reason homeless addicts practice restraint of tongue and deed when dealing with the establishment.

For the addict, the shift in priority leaves the often resented landlord in a terrible position. As a landlord of an evicted meth addict (unpaid rent), I learned the hard way of the poor support for pets.

When my boarder discovered I cleared his belongings out, he abandoned his old intact dog in my backyard. Because it has become quite cold outside, and because I know my boarder loves his dog but was not able to think outside of the drug, I contacted the Napier Lane SPCA.

After a heated discussion, the SPCA Special Constable said the Napier Lane Shelter would accept the pet but only if the dog is "surrendered" (legally turned over to them without charge); he would attempt to find the owner. The dog would be put up for "adoption" (sold) after two weeks.

Victoria Animal Control Services (VACS) is contracted to provide pound services for the citizens of Victoria. The owner has 4 days to retrieve their pet and pay the $70.00 fine (first impound) plus board ($6.00 per day) plus a license ($35.00 and an address necessary to purchase a tag) along with any other costs. I wondered where the addict would find this kind of money. After the four days, the dog becomes property of the City of Victoria (VACS). The animal is assessed; then sold, given away, or humanely killed.

Most landlords will not keep an abandoned animal. The risk of paranoid retaliation is significant and it is unfair to expect a landlord to bare the burden of this expense.

The City of Victoria is the only area in Greater Victoria that has not been proactive in her responsibility to pet owning citizens in crisis. Currently, the citizens have no compassionate place where an animal can stay while the owner sorts through his/her immediate problems - whether that be drugs, abusive situation, unexpected hospital admittance etc. All animals are either "seized", "surrendered", or picked up as "strays" - sometimes injured and/or emaciated.

Considering how society benefits from the bond between an owner and pet, one would think policy makers would work to ensure the necessary supports would be in place to keep owners and their animals together.

helen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    crystalmethbc.ca Forum Index -> Health Issues re Street Life & Meth use. All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: